Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So much to tell, so little time

I went on to a riding course/clinic last weekend in Suffolk and had a fantastic time there. Basically, I felt that I need to work on my 'jitters' which I get when I anticipate the action of riding (especially hacking out) and when I am about to go to the yard. 

It's a bit annoying to be feeling unduly nervous about something that is so dear to me, especially as Rainbow too is so lovely, so I figured that a course might help. So I went on Enjoy Riding course, run by lovely Caroline. 

Most of the course was about visualisations and working on the thought processes, and brain, that cause this kind of over reaction to something rather mundane. Anyway, without explaining everything in total detail, as it would be pointless as some people might think what's the point if you feel nervous then why do you do it, and so on. I am not here to explain it to those as they clearly don't have the love of horses as I do. So I see this is a challenge which I want to address and overcome. 

It must be said that my nerves are mainly 'anticipatory', so the notion of going there and doing stuff is the thing for me. Once I am in the saddle, I am usually fine. 

The course was fantabulous. The weather was perfect and we rode on both days out on the heathlands in near Suffolk coast, in Hollesley. It was horse-riding heaven; no roads, no traffic... Ah! I think we need to start looking for properties in Suffolk... 

After the two days I felt so positive and empowered about the whole thing. I do realise that the hard work is to be done at home with Rainbow, in our own environment, but for the first time someone helped me put things into perspective and to look at it from a new angle. I now have a 'toolbox' full of tools, and it feels good. 

I am going to get some pictures from Caroline hopefully soon, so will update them here and will also be updating on how I get on with my tools. :)

Some pictures from Suffolk - Enjoy Riding (www.enjoyriding.com )




Before we set off on our first hack.



Beautiful Suffolk heathlands.






The 'students'.





3 comments:

  1. It's nice you have such courses available there in UK, not sure if we do in Finland... But I hope to participate on some courses too with Emmi, like eventing course my friend Liza went to this summer with her horse. But right...maybe we first need to practise some "normal" jumping first ;D It's ok to have at least some kind of instinct of self preservation...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not sure if such courses are available everywhere but UK is quite good for stuff like that. More people I guess doing it, so it's more profitable here.

      I am taking one step at a time - as we also jump over simple poles like they're 1-metre high...!

      Delete