Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dressage!

Today it was Dressage day at our yard. Just an unaffiliated competition, but it always gives a little buzz to the place. People make the effort with platting their horses' manes and wear smart jackets and jodhs for the occasion. It's really lovely to see.  I haven't plucked up the courage yet to take part in a competition yet, but I just may have to for the next one, which is in November. Rainbow, however, is an old hand, as Annika has done it with her a few times... So it may be her taking me around the arena.

Rainbow wasn't taking part today; I chucked her in the field yesterday so she's having  weekend off. I volunteered as a writer for the judge. The first one was Walk and Trot B test with Annika and then one of the ladies forwent her turn to write for the Preliminary 10 test, so I got to write on two tests. 

It was very good to hear what the judges are looking for and I think I did start to develop an eye for what was good and what was not so – when I managed to glance up from making the notes! Basic two points I took away today are: 


  1. Accuracy in the movements and route. So this means good-shape circles, going around the corners properly, and straight lines (especially along the centre line). "These are 'easy' points to collect, which will help with the overall mark, so it would be silly to not to be accurate with the route", the judge told me.
  2. Pace. Have an even pace. If the horse isn't quite in the formation (e.g. on the bit), it's not so detrimental in the lower level tests, but they should be propelling forward and look active. This will also help with the 'lightness' and to look more collected.


Then some additional points worth considering/remembering:

  • Stretch in free rein. When in free rein the horse's head should go down and stretch, he/she should look relaxed when walking forward. Minimal interference with the hands, that is. 
  • Transitions. This is part of the accuracy point, too, but also sharpness in transitions. So, e.g. if cantering, they should not run into the canter (I need to work on this!) but make the transitions clearly and quickly.
  • Bend. Make sure the horse is bending in the correct way and isn't dropping shoulder or quarters, especially in corners.

Next weekend we have show jumping! I have asked Annika to ride Rainbow around, as I am not yet ready to take part in such activities. But I will be eagerly watching from the sidelines.

Here some pics from today – not brilliant quality as I was sitting in the judge's box and the glass is a bit mucky: 

 The arena.

 The judges and writers are handsomely rewarded... In food: hot beverages and nibbles!

Claire and Fleur coming into the arena.



1 comment:

  1. Good points...we have been trying to work those out with Emmi. Long way to go yet... :)

    ReplyDelete