Friday, February 8, 2013

Bit of progress and perhaps spring is on its way too!

I have had a good week despite being super busy with work. I didn't actually manage to ride since Saturday, but Rainbow was ridden on a lesson on Tuesday and then jumped by Annika on Wed. Then we had our private dressage lesson yesterday and we attended a group lesson this morning.

I was also pleased to have finally met Rainbow's regular Tuesday rider. I have heard good things about her from Annika, but it was nice to meet her and see her ride Rainbow with my own eyes. At the moment I am realistic about it and feel that if there is someone reasonably good who is willing to ride Rainbow once a week, this means I have actually time to do other things – e.g. like earn money through working to keep Rainbow..! Some people are very possessive over their own horses and I am too, but as Rainbow is still quite young and I am a novice at best, she is not going to be ruined by someone riding her once a week. In fact, the lady who rides Rainbow was very friendly and genuinely likes Rainbow. She told me she's always really happy when she hears that she gets to ride Rainbow. She uses words such as 'lovely' and 'sweet' about Rainbow, which is nice to hear. She was also aware of what I would think of her riding, so she was very 'humble' too. She needn't have, and I needn't have worried; she has ridden a lot longer than I have and gets Rainbow to collect herself instantly, and her riding style seemed relaxed-yet-effective. Calm hands and good sitting. I couldn't ask for more.

But what really has made my week is the improvement we have made over the past four weeks on the flatwork-front... I don't know if my new instructor is just being encouraging but she also seems genuinely, almost surprised at how much we've improved. Every lesson. We have not yet taken steps back (touching wood!!).

The first couple of weeks we were just working on going straight and me learning to steer through my sitting, position and legs, as well as me becoming more black and white (*stricter*) with Rainbow when we work. I wasn't correcting her quickly enough, so she would wiggle – spaghetti neck, I call it – not go straight and didn't listen to my leg aids. She would fall in and she would not collect herself other than a few paces at a time. I always found that riding effectively was hard work and by the time I'd get her to collect I was knackered from the effort of it all, I couldn't sustain whatever I was meant to sustain. I was too floppy and too soft. Yes, I admit it. Rainbow isn't a bad horse or even malicious, but she is intelligent and while she has a nice, gentle character, she doesn't give you any extra unless you have the upper hand and know how to ask for it. Perhaps a typical young and confident mare?

This was proven to me about two lessons ago as when I finally managed to keep her collected in walk almost throughout. I was relaxed-yet-effective, soft in the elbows, didn't give her an inch and if she tried to fall in or not go straight, I would remind her with my leg or, sometimes, with a tap of the whip. My teacher started chuckling, as we were 'marching' towards her in this new manner, as apparently Rainbow's face was a picture; she was looking a bit forlorn and apprehensive as suddenly her 'Soft Mummy' had learned to steer her and make her do what she wanted, and not the other way around. And I knew this was all down to me as she is a well-educated horse and always goes beautifully with more experienced/confident riders.

In today's group lesson I decided to ride Rainbow in a black and white manner again, and not let her take control on any level. I kept myself in the moment and if I could feel her, for example, lose interest in trotting and start listening to something outside the school, I would ask for a transition or go around in a circle. I would keep asking for her to collect herself, if she 'forgot' and go soft when she did, so it became the preferred position for her – and I can say I managed it! It wasn't perfect but overall she was mostly on the bit and I didn't let her do anything I didn't decide we were doing. When we had cantered a bit, I could feel her get a little fresh or enthusiastic, and I could feel myself tense up, I tried to mentally take a step back and move onto another task, such as a transition or change of route. This seems to work with Rainbow. I think she's quite bright (for a horse, I mean!) and needs constant mental stimulation when working. And when something was good, I would praise her. But I kept it short and simple, such as a pat on the neck and a few words, but no funny talk. I have decided that when we work I will praise her but will keep it 'professional'. All fluffiness and softness is to be only on free time and not when I am in the saddle or at the end of the rope. I don't think it's being harsh, but it's being consistent.

I think I am babbling on so will leave it there, but all good in the hood. I have also enjoyed lovely chats with my friend Denise at the yard, as we so often do. She came up with a gem yesterday; she had read somewhere that researchers have found out that women who have horses don't have affairs. There you go! It's scientifically proven. Feel free to take this piece of wisdom as ammunition next time your partner complains about anything horsey.



2 comments: