Wednesday, May 8, 2013

About saddles.... strap in.

It's only so much I can adulate the beautiful weather, taking pics of Rainbow in the field and posting them for all to see. Also my horsey time with Rainbow has been a little limited over the past few days, as it was a bank holiday weekend here and to take advantage of the extra days off, I summoned my other half to a DIY weekend – finishing bits off that have remained after redecorating the living room nearly 18 months ago! The sunny and warm weather meant that Rainbow went to the field.

Last week I mentioned about my saddle having been 'condemned' by a saddler to be so ill-fitting to Rainbow that they wouldn't touch it but told me to contact the original saddler/maker. I was quite taken aback by this all, as it's my first saddle and while I had expected it to be needing e.g. some re-flocking and padding a bit, I didn't think it was totally unsuitable to Rainbow. I had noticed, last autumn, when had been using the saddle for a 2-3 months that Rainbow had lost condition, or just toned down a bit... Bit of both, I think, now on hindsight, as I re-read my post from November. I think Rainbow has also just 'grown' a little, too. At least her withers seem more prominent. She's also in good condition at the moment and I think she's looking good overall. Granted, I have been waiting for quite while before getting a saddler out, but I have been using the gel pad under the saddle to help with the positioning and I think it has worked. 

... As this is in danger of becoming a very long post, so I have decided to split it into sections, individual posts, so you can read all about my escapades in the world of saddlery... Consider it a bit like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy...! 

Saddler #1

Saddler #2

Saddler #3



Our saddle - Paul Jones GP saddle. Pictured when I had just bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment