Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Saddler #3

If you are stumbling upon this post without warning, please feel free to refer to this post for background... and it might be useful to read these posts too: Saddler #1 & Saddler #2. This post ends the trilogy.

Saddler #3

Since the Saddler #2 refused to work with our saddle and I was upset about the report I was given, I had no other way than contact the original seller. The saddle was bought through a friend at the yard who also worked for a local saddlery business. She measured and templated Rainbow originally back in July. I was a little worried about contacting her in a 'work' capacity and I wasn't sure if she worked for the saddlery anymore, but as she was my only option, I just thought I'd keep it official and as friendly as possible. 

Her response to my report from the previous saddlers was more than good. She instantly replied and said that she has contacted the saddler and asked him to get back to me as soon as possible. Any costs incurred from him possibly coming to see me and to fix the saddle could be invoiced to her company.

Soon enough, the next day, Paul Jones phoned me himself and asked to explain the problem. He said it might be best if he comes and sees for himself and so we set up an appointment at a crack of dawn on Saturday. This actually suited me, as I was meant to deal with Rainbow swiftly on that day due to our impending DIY weekend at home. So Paul set off from near Walsall super early and by 6am I received a text to say he was on his way and ahead of schedule. Quickly I put on my clothes and drove to the yard. I was the first one in, at around 6:45am! Rainbow thought I had lost my mind as I hauled the saddle out in preparation for Paul's visit. 

Paul arrived. The first he said, when I explained the problem and recapped what the previous saddlers had said that talking to saddlers is a bit like talking to car mechanics: everyone's got their own opinion. He checked the saddle and touched up along Rainbow's back to see if she was sore anywhere. He said he's not a vet but he has a yard full of race horses and deals with vets a lot, so he has an idea of how to check for signs of soreness. Rainbow was happily munching on hay while we prodded her. Paul said that he's happy to fix the saddle as, yes, it was low on the gullet/pommel area, but it wouldn't be a big job. He'd take the saddle away and I would have it back by Wednesday. 

We also discussed the saddle and he explained to me about how he prefers to see saddles work and about their weight distribution qualities. He granted that I had done the right thing by adding the gel pad to it, as it made the saddle sit correctly since R had changed shape. Generally, he explained that he's not all too keen on propping and padding up the saddle to the point that it sits right around the spine of the horse, but that the padded areas 'skim' over the shoulders for an even distribution of weight and comfort of movement to the horse. This all made sense to me. Rainbow has not ever displayed any behaviour that implies she's been in pain, however she does sometimes move away from the saddle, but this could be her just protesting having to work overall.... Anyway, her spine didn't seem sore either.

In summary, Paul also said that saddle is always a compromise between the rider and the horse. It should be always as comfortable as possible but it is a bit like wearing shoes, you know you are wearing shoes and they shouldn't pinch, but it's not the same as being without. He also said he would get in touch with the saddlers who 'condemned' the saddle – hope I haven't started any wars...

Anyway, I am hoping this has now taught me a few lessons about dealing with saddlers, as well as keeping an eye out for my own saddle on a daily basis.  It has also given me confidence trusting my own eye, as all saddlers said I'd done the right thing by fixing the positioning in the first instance with the pad. 

But I think I might try and deal with Paul directly with this saddle from now on, as he knows his own saddles best. I hope to receive the improved saddle from Paul today. When I do, he has asked me to pop it on Rainbow and take some photos and send them to him, so he can see it definitely fits. 

So there are no right or wrong answers. All saddles – and saddlers – are different, as are horses and riders. We all need to find the best solution for us. Nothing is prescribed  and we are dealing with living things that tend to be wonky, each in their own special way (both the horses and the people!). I am not feeling hard done by anymore but I am also taking information with a pinch of salt and try to form my own view and not be so easily swayed one way or another. And finally, I won't be bullied by people who give bad customer service or are rude to a paying customer. 











No comments:

Post a Comment