Thursday, October 10, 2013

This week we learned to long line

I have been pondering the merits of lunging for a while now.  I am still very much learning about all the horsey stuff, so I wanted to learn to lunge Rainbow. But, I haven't been able to shake this feeling of lunging being a bit futile and demoralising for the horse. 

There are probably some benefits in lunging, which I haven't come across, but I am worried the running around in the tight circle is not particularly helpful for the horse's joints, etc. either... And – let's put it this way – now that Rainbow lunges with me fine, i.e. she behaves, but I can see it in her eyes that she's just 'obliging'. Not sure if she particularly enjoys working this way.

I thought I'd pay someone to teach me properly and to show me how to do it safely. As far as I was aware, no one had every long lined Rainbow. So it was new to her as well. 

I got in touch with an instructor through Intelligent Horsemanship website, as I am also interested in Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks' methods overall. (I am thinking of going to one of Monty's demos as they're touring around the UK this month.)

A lovely instructor S came over to our's and we learned about long lining. First she took Rainbow and put the dually halter on her, and lead her around the arena, doing some backing up exercises and stepping aside exercises; basic IH exercises. Then I had a go. 

Rainbow was behaving exceptionally and even though she was occasionally a bit puzzled by this odd lesson we were having, not once did she misbehave or refuse to cooperate. Well, maybe the backing up was the hardest thing for her get her head around, but she did eventually. Also I was learning a new way of communicating with R and I was trying to get my head around using the dually halter correctly; it's based on pressure and release as a reward. So timing the release is important to get right. Rainbow also followed me perfectly on loose lead and stopped when I stopped. 

The we had a go at the long lining. S draped some leads over Rainbow to check her reaction to leads and she didn't flinch once. Not even when the long lead was placed over her bottom. 

Rainbow received lots of praise and I was complimented on a well-behaving horse. S said that such a trusting and calm horse, must mean she has a good owner. Awwww... thanks... :)

In the first image we were teaching Rainbow to turn on the line before introducing the second line. In the subsequent images Rainbow is going fully on both lines. 
(The pictures are a bit blurry as had accidentally HDR on on my iPhone, which means it can't deal with moving objects too well, but I am hoping the blurriness conveys 'movement' to you!)

I really enjoyed the 'physicality' of long lining, and I like the idea of how versatile it can be; so not limited to arenas but can go out on a walkabout with Rainbow.  Also the riding-like cues, i.e. the lines are like reins, helps her understand my cues better, and making her work through the top line was a LOT easier this way than trying to convey this to her from the end of a lunge line with no real contact to her whatsoever.

I also like the dually halter, so I will get one for her, as this means I don't need to use a bridle. Using a bridle is fine, of course, but I think this is gentler. 







Today we had a dressage lesson again, which went well. Well, maybe Rainbow didn't like it as much as I did... We worked on her listening to my leg, to which I feel she's become a bit dead. She's never been the 'quickest' off the leg, but she seems to be obliging with other riders more readily. I think I have also let her get away with it too much. So today I asked A if we could take a step back to basics and make her listen to me without the need for me to 'pump' speed into to her constantly. I have fallen into a bad habit of working harder in the saddle than the horse underneath me, so that had to change!

Unfortunately, to get Rainbow listening to me again and to take my legs seriously (without me having to have legs like steel-clamps, which I don't!), I had to get a bit mean and give a few flicks of the whip when a squeeze of the leg didn't produce the desired effect. But she's a quick learner and actually, only after a few taps, she did start taking me seriously and I could just enjoy the ride. First time in ages, I wasn't sweatier than the horse at the end of the lesson, and I was wearing a padded gilet!


I had to post this image of the girls. The weather turned arctic today, or so it felt. Well, it's still around 10 degrees, but northernly winds. When I went to the paddock to collect Rainbow and Zara, they were both standing there with their light turnout rugs on and with flymasks! The flies have been very persistent this autumn, but this was little bit of an overkill. A true cross-over of seasons! Well, the staff at our yard do their best and only well meaning, I am sure. Couldn't help but chuckle though.




No comments:

Post a Comment