Sunday, October 6, 2013

The pair do their first SJ competition...

We took part in our first show-jumping competition today. 

I had quietly thought of doing it ever since the autumn fixtures list went up, but, quite honestly, have been bricking it ever since I expressed this to others...Also, the timing wasn't ideal as I have only come back from recovery after the operation, and have been back in the saddle only a week. But there was no other 'very novicey' show-jumping scheduled until next year, so it was a bit now-or-never scenario. Hence the intensive dose of three jumping lessons (and one fall) this week.

I wanted to keep it quiet as I didn't want to jinx it. I didn't even tell my parents about it. And wanted to give myself a chance to retreat towards the nearest exit, if needed...!

I woke up this morning at around 5:30am but made myself stay in bed until 6:30am when my alarm went. I somehow managed to shower myself and get dressed in the competition gear. I couldn't eat anything, so grabbed a banana and a flask of coffee with me. 

I got to the yard before 8 o'clock and went straight into the arena so have a look at the course. The first class was meant to be 40cm with no fillers, etc. I also thought there wouldn't be oxers, but I was a bit wrong! They had built mini-oxers... 

Luckily I had some good instructions from my friend Julia who walked the course with me a couple of times. Julia gave me instructions, talking through what to do and where. I just quietly walked around with her, not my usual chatty self (wonder why!).

I mucked out and went to sit in the sun, trying to eat my breakfast banana as I had a little bit of time to kill. Becca arrived and probably noticed how scared I looked. 

I realise this blog is probably read by people who think absolutely nothing of popping over some fences and the idea of getting scared by a course of 12 forty-centimetre jumps is at least laughable (I find it laughable). But, I have never competed in SJ. The last time I took part in a SJ 'competition' was about 20 years ago on a pony camp in Finland, aged 10, on a shetland pony – over a few jumps and not really being a competition at all. 

As expected, I was against children on ponies – some being lead in-hand! – but I didn't even consider the competition. I just wanted to face some fears. Start from somewhere – have something to build on. So 40 cm, Class 1, it had to be.

My riding instructor A had agreed to help me with the warm up and she was great: she made me pop over a few jumps and an oxer, giving instructions, and then she said to go in straightaway before I had time to think about it. So I was first one in. My instructor, in fact, followed into the arena to shout instructions at me as I went around (I hadn't expected her to, but it was very welcome)... Well, at least she didn't have to lead me in-hand...

We did a clear round! Rainbow was a superstar. Went over every jump without hesitation and looked after me when I wasn't quite on the ball. At one point I remember having rather loose reins and thinking, "Another jump coming up, no reins, oh well, point Rainbow at jump, hold on (to the mane) and collect the reins after." :D 

I have a piece of gold in a form of a horse. It's all I can say. I love that horse.

Afterwards, we were milling around, I had agreed with Becca for her to take Rainbow around 50 cm class so we were discussing that and other logistics. When suddenly Sarah said to me, "Do you realise you're in the lead?" She had heard it on the tannoy. I was dumbstruck. So far in the class, no one else had had a clear round. The children on their ponies had either fallen off, had refusals, dropped poles and been slow (especially those led in-hand). I had taken part in a competition but I was so preoccupied with getting around in one piece, I hadn't even considered being placed. 

And so, not only did we do a clear round – and I didn't fall off/Rainbow didn't misbehave, etc. – but we won! 





The victory was so unexpected that I had already managed to ditch my show jacket and boots, so I had to go and collect the rosette in my yard attire!

Here's a little collage from the day – which includes my 'super-polished' performance!
















No comments:

Post a Comment