Sunday, October 20, 2013

100th blog post

I have been putting off writing the next blog post this week, as I realised it's the 100th post. I started this diary a year ago, as encouraged by a friend, Johanna, to follow my life with Rainbow. After the initial apprehension about what to say and how others would perceive it, I have stopped worrying so much and just written about stuff that's been on my mind. It has become almost a weekly habit of writing about something horsey... Usually an account of what has happened in the week and any other problems or issues – and successes – I've had with Rainbow. 


Friends in the paddock
So I felt that writing the 'anniversary' post should include something special. Well. It won't. Sorry!

This week has been fine the horse front and I have done some schooling with Rainbow, learned to sit in a slightly better way – without blocking the movement (maybe this will have its own post in the near future), I have learned about the importance of keeping my elbows further back and learned to simply tilt my pelvis when I want to halt. We've also hacked out with friends, as we do most weeks. 

Earlier in the week, Julia and I took our horses up to the fields and did some cantering too. Julia's horse, Oli, got a bit excited so she had to make him do some controlled cantering around us, when Rainbow and I had already stopped our canter. Rainbow was exemplary and stood still while Julia and Oli did a circle around us. 

Later in the week, we did a second hack with Julia and Oli. Went around the village. It was quite an exciting hack as the roads were still busy with commuters around 9am, there were workmen and noisy machines, temporary traffic signs and big heavy things being lifted on building sites. Rainbow was really good – I was a bit worried at some point, as had l left the martingale home and, a couple of times R did some giraffe impressions when we saw something exciting. But it was all good; she happily lead when it was her turn to lead and once, when Oli was scared of a busy building site, R walked on past like nothing, helping Oli to follow us. I said to Julia after the successful hack despite lots of scary things that I feel like we've been in some police-horse test and passed – next we can move onto crowd control and do a couple of football matches.

Then we did one more hack yesterday morning with friends Sarah on Sampson and Becca on Mary. We did a 'coloured hack', as we had two piebalds and one skewbald :) ... It was a lovely amble through nearby villages. We took a slightly new route back through a stud farm. There's a pathway that can be used by riders. The only 'exciting' bit was the opening and closing of gates to and from the farm, but Becca was a dab hand at opening closing gates while on horseback. Her steed, Mary, a little cob, also made the task easy as she was so low, Becca could reach gate latches fine, even though Mary – as a riding school cob – didn't quite make sense of Becca's cues for forehand turns or leg yieldings!

After the hack, I turned Rainbow out to the mares field (big field). She got to go out with friends and enjoy some wide open spaces, instead  the little paddock she shares with Zara during the week. 

In fact, it was such a mild night (over 13 degrees), I decided to leave her out overnight. It's been a bit showery, but Rainbow is wearing her turn out rug, so I reckon she's been fine. Collecting her this afternoon. 



Thank you to all those who have joined as readers and also those who might be reading anonymously – hope it's been somewhat enjoyable.



Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?


No comments:

Post a Comment