Tuesday, August 12, 2014

hello...

I quite hadn't intended to have a month-long break from writing, but there you go... Blame it on the heat that has now been delighting us in Finland for over a month. It's been fab, although a little challenging, as can't work horses in the heat of the day. I have also learned that in hot countries people exercise their horses either really early in the morning or very late at night. 

Here in Finland, even though warm summers are a common occurrence, consistent temperatures in the high-20s or low-30s, for over a month, is not a common occurrence. Usually, heat waves are done within a two-week period or so... But I am not complaining. It's been great and horses have been super-chilled. 

Perhaps the reason I haven't written much is that our life has been a bit samey of late... In a good way, though. We have been hacking a lot, having some flatwork lessons and been jumping too. General life, I guess. I have also been trimming Rainbow's hooves myself! I do have a trimmer coming to see us this Friday to check my handiwork. Luckily R is so calm she has let me faff with her feet a fair amount... For I am not yet very quick at it! Also, it's been extra 'fun' to do it in the heat; weight loss guaranteed, sweat so much.

My next challenge, which I am sure I will find motivation to write about soon enough, is probably trying out bitless. I have been wanting to do it a long time but feel now it's the right time. 

i ordered an Orbitless bitless bridle for Rainbow upon a recommendation from a friend in the UK who uses it on her horse. I also bought a Monty Roberts Dually Halter finally, as feel it might be useful in teaching R the concept of bitless and also for other groundwork type working with her. 

Then I also purchased a riding pad for riding without a saddle. I have now tried bareback with Rainbow a couple of times but it's not super-comfortable trying, for example, trotting. So the pictured Best Friend riding pad was a godsend. I have tried it once and will try make working without a saddle a fairly regular thing for us. 

Images below are curtesy of Orbitless Bridle and Best Friend. Linked as above.








2 comments:

  1. I'm going to order those Orbitless bridles also. Did you shop from UK shop or Fin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I ordered from the UK, as that's the only place they're available. In Finland, you can get LG Bridle, which is similar, but I went with the Orbitless, as a friend in the UK had used them and throughly recommended them. They can be bought on Orbitless' own website or www.urbanhorse.com . I bought them from Urban Horse, as their website is a bit better and it was easier to order it. Their service was also second to none.

      The model we have, with the little fur bit on the nose, is the Deluxe one. The bridle (effectively a nose band) fits on an existing bridle, so I still get to use my posh Albion one! Now our bridle is called "Albionorbitless" ;)

      Also, when you buy the bridle, don't forget to buy rein clips. Makes life a LOT easier! http://www.urbanhorse.com/horsereinclips?keyword=rein%20clips&category_id=0

      Delete