Monday, August 25, 2014

Bitless buddies

Well, a few tries on the bitless and I can't say I can tell a difference (which is great), except maybe a more relaxed and happier horse. I recommend giving it a go. Who needs bits anyway? I guess the horse could easily run off and do silly things with a bit in his mouth. In fact, it is said, they tend to relax with bitless and, for example, as our first reaction in a surprising situation is to yank at their mouth (however inadvertently), having a bit in actually makes it worse. The escape reaction in a horse, that is. When there's no bit, there's no pain. The horse may spook but as the spook isn't made worse by a jab in the mouth from the rider, perhaps they calm down quicker.

This picture was taken after our first ride in the bitless last week... It absolutely started hammering down, so didn't ride very long. But it was good.



Today, I decided to ride in the bitless in a 'normal' way, so did all the same work and exercises what I'd normally practise when riding Rainbow (no more test riding per se). I had a very calm and happily moving horse underneath me. She takes long to warm up so I wasn't pushing her into collection or anything, just made sure she was moving off the leg promptly and bending in corners (both our bug bears). I changed direction frequently, as Rainbow seems to get more interested in working the less she can predict what next, and took focal points around the arena to ride as accurate routes as possible. I concentrated on myself and on the clarity of my aids. I also paid special attention to having my hands closed around the reins (not holding with my hand slightly open, which is another bug bear of mine) and keeping a constant contact, giving from the elbow. Then, I concentrated on just riding and sitting as Rainbow moved forwards, working on keeping my leg aids short and succinct. If e.g. a squeeze of the leg didn't produce the desired 'jolt' forwards instantly, I followed with a tap of the whip a couple of times, reminding Rainbow. She knows it, but I am aware I have developed the tendency to pump and she just doesn't listen to my leg always as well as she should, so we both need to become 'more accurate'. This is why, and I totally hold my hands up here, we still are working on these fairly basic ground rules...

But, hey presto, as I relaxed, kept my leg aids and other aids (e.g. not hanging on the inside rein, just using it for guidance in bends and keeping outside rein 'solid') as clear as possible and remembered relaxed shoulders and 'gave in' from the elbow (not fingers!). Rainbow collected herself and moved with an even pace around the school. Both in walk and trot. I had cantered during the warm up but didn't attempt cantering too much as the school was quite mushy from the wet weather we've been having. 

All this achieved and without an instructor! I must be learning something. 

As soon as Rainbow went well and we managed to produce circles and around the school a couple of times, on both reins, I decided to reward Rainbow very swiftly by giving her a pat and a treat, jumped off and loosened the girth, to say well done and thank you very much. We did our cool down walk around the school together, walking side by side – or me slightly leading and Rainbow walking at my shoulder, in the 'sweet spot', as per Mr Monty Roberts' teachings...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment