Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lessons in sitting straight, keeping elbows back... and having a balanced horse

We have started new lessons with a new trainer, Mary Webb. We are still doing our 'dressage' lessons with A, too, but I decided to try Mary after a friend recommended her. 

Mary gets me sitting better and she has helped me to get Rainbow to work in an outline without having to have legs like steel clamps, purely by sitting in a better position and pushing R forward with my seat without constantly pumping with legs or fussing about.

I am not straight, apparently, so we are working on having my elbows next to my side and my shoulders straight. I collapse from the middle, especially when I ask transitions (and, often just when going straight...) so learning to support myself with my abs and having a stronger frame, but soft elbows. 

It's only been lesson number two, so long way to go yet but I am hopeful with the little improvements we've already made Rainbow will have a more balanced rider sitting on her in a matter of weeks.

Mary took some photos. Taken on a mobile phone, so quality not the sharpest, but I am pleased to see Rainbow walking better and collecting herself without me having to work too hard.





No comments:

Post a Comment