Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Galna Dagar

Galna Dagar.... It's Swedish and translates "Crazy Days". A fairly upmarket Finnish department store chain, Stockmann, has a seasonal campaign each autumn when prices are slashed and large yellow signs decorate the shop windows glaring in both official languages, in Finnish: "Hullut Päivät" and in Swedish:"Galna Dagar", and people rush in to find bargains. It's an institution. My mare's behaviour over the past couple of days somehow brought expression to my mind, so I had to use it here.

I think she's in season. She hasn't had really nutty days since spring, when the first season of the season hit her and she was like she was ready to explode when I tried to ride her then... The weather has cooled off a bit from the low 30s of last week, and the thundery weather probably have something to do with it as well... Well the same happened again and I could feel her being on edge and ready to bounce. I was quite proud of myself because instead of getting overly worried (or at least controlling my worry!), I just decided to keep her walking around in circles, making some halts and tighter circles to get her concentrating on me and not have the whole head and neck up, ears pricked, trying to look for friends and neigh like a complete idiot. After about 5 minutes of this I dared to raise trot and actually discovered that, in her more excitable state, she is in some way more of a pleasure to ride, as she's going forward and has some pace to her paces! Now, would Elina about a year ago have said this!? No! She would have wanted to stop riding and take the horse back in the stable. Very proud of myself, even though I say it myself... I must be learning something!

She's been very vocal over the past couple of days. When she hears the quietest and the most distant whinny or neigh, she has to reply. High and loud. It's 'nice' to be standing right next to her when she really opens her lungs.... Then, after yesterday's lesson – and I mean she was clearly tired from the long and pacy lesson – she still got excited when we were exiting the indoor school and she saw some handsome boy being ridden in the outside school, which we had to walk past. Head up. Nostrils flared, blowing air. Refused to walk with me. Then when I finally got her moving by getting a bit annoyed with her, the head was still up and she had to keep neighing. Some workmen looked at us when we were walking past them, almost doing a reverse horsey version of the wolf-whistle at them, a real show. I had to make a puzzled/embarrassed face and say pointing at her, "she must be in season...!?"

Nevertheless we had a Claire lesson and did some flatwork and Claire rode Rainbow a bit too, ending the lesson on some cross poles. Claire lessons are good but hard work! I was trying so hard that noticed my abs being tender like after doing a lot of sit-ups. Total body conditioning :). When I was really riding R into contact, I must have looked so desperate that Claire had to tell me to stop frowning and to relax a little. Trying too hard? Me? Never...

I had considered taking my phone to the lesson and wanted to ask Claire to film me a bit, but given Rainbow's state of mind, which I could already sense in the stable, I decided against it. Didn't really want to potentially capture some action in the 'craziest home videos' territory... But I will try and do this next time.  About time I put up some video of me sitting on Rainbow.

But the most pleasing thing I noticed yesterday was that even when we started the lesson Rainbow feeling like an explosion brewing under the saddle, I rode through this silliness and ended the lesson on jumping her. This means that putting R into work properly, pretty much despite her moods, it's better than not riding her. So when she had to concentrate she forgot boys until we had finished and came out of the school. So my course of action, of engaging her in going around and transitions, tight circles, changes of rein, etc. I could 'conquer' the silliness and get her working. A pat on my back. :)

Today, weather permitting, we're off for a hack. Hoping I will find a lot calmer and quieter friend in the stable...


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha....she sounds exactly like my mare. She, too, has some serious "galna dagar". Luckily she does consentrate when she has to work, but othervise she behaves with such a manner that I almost blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we're not the only ones! It always takes me by surprise though, as she doesn't get loopy every month. But just need to let her get on with it and keep her occupied ! :)

      Delete