Thursday, August 1, 2013

Weekend off

It seems we are having one-day heat wave today. The temperature is over 30 and it's sunny. Luckily it's a little breezy, so not too heavy. 

It's August already...

I rode Rainbow on our usual Thursday flatwork lesson and received good feedback again on my riding from my instructor – on how much I've improved, etc. I do realise that instructors have to be positive and encouraging, but it's always nice to hear and, especially, when I think I am starting to feel it in my own riding, too. We are still grinding the same old stuff: getting the horse into the contact, accurate transitions – canter in particular, accurate routes, and so on. It's not high-level stuff but we are making progress little by little. I am basically getting better at riding R into the contact and when she tries to lift her head, I am quicker to react and ask again. I'm becoming more black and white :)... I have to ask a lot and frequently, but I guess we're getting there...

But what really made my day was when we were walking back to the stable, across the car park, one acquaintance actually got up – there were some people sitting in the tables at the front– and called my name. She said she'd been watching us on the lesson and was impressed at how much my riding has come on. We used to be on the same group lessons and she noticed a big difference. It was lovely to hear it – and when someone specifically stops you to give you a compliment. (The pessimist inside my head was saying: how rubbish must have I been before?!) No, but one has to learn to take compliments and cherish them.  It's lovely to see there are still people who are able to be encouraging and don't see it's somehow away from them. 

I was in two minds about turning R out this afternoon, due to the heat, but went ahead with it as I figured she'd appreciate the time out. Also, I don't have to feel guilty about her getting bored in the stable. I am also away for the weekend, so she gets to be there to her heart's content. 

I have some reservations about turning her out in the field for long periods of time at the moment, as the 24/7 grazing (sugars in grass, particularly in the daytime) can cause footiness (noticeable in barefoot horses – shod ones can get it too but shoes disguise it) ... I don't think R is overly sensitive, but it's a bit of a trial and error, unfortunately, testing what she can cope with and what she can't. Well, I will know on Monday if she seems footier than before....


Another headache was caused by whether or not to put a fly mask on. The latest flymask like this, Amigo Mio earless model  (excuse the blurry picture – had to zoom in): 



But the fly mask has been rubbing R under the chin and she now has three or four spots where the skin has got broken. I have been treating the patches by putting Veterinus Derma Gel on them (which, by the way, is brilliant stuff), but the best medicine probably is to let the skin heal and not have the mask rubbing ... Cue swarms of flies! As a horse owner, you really can't win!!

So I decided to go and buy extra strength fly and insect repellent. I had bought NAF creamy stuff last year, as I wasn't sure how R would take to a spray bottle, but now that I know her a lot better and reckoned she'd cope, decided to risk it and bought a spray bottle of this Carr & Day & Martin Extra Strength stuff: 

http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product_details.html?cid=Mw==&pid=MjQ=


I sprayed it all over her body and wiped it gently on her face with sponge (no spraying on face, as must avoid eyes, obviously!). I was very proud of Rainbow, as when I was spraying it all over, she stood quietly and didn't even flinch. Very good girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment