Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I think I have a happy horse...!

I am definitely a person that needs to take action, the quicker the better, but don't mean rushing (well, maybe sometimes...hopefully not often!). I mean when something becomes very clear to me – when something clicks – I need to put the ball rolling. My thoughts, as per my previous post, have been circling around Rainbow's feeding. To the point that I found my thoughts beginning to spin around my head as I was trying to figure it all out – by bedtime, my head was actually aching from all the mulling. Not that views on feeding are ever fully complete, they tend to evolve as things happen and life goes on, but I like to have the basics in my grasp – quickly – so I can build on them... Thanks also to my ever-patient 'penpal' and friend, Johanna, who gave some good advice and certainly food for thought. 

I am still deciding on various things and a lot of it is trial and error. Today, a friendly face at the yard said that try things out for yourself and see if you see any difference in R's behaviour, and try remember what you've given her so you'll know what might cause what. So, I am not for instance going down the route with oats yet, but to boost Rainbow's condition, I am going to keep her on the Horse & Pony Cubes (bizarrely, everyone calls them 'nuts' here) and Chaff (the chaff is there just as additional roughage to stop the horse from scoffing the nuts too fast), as that's what Rainbow has been on before and I know are fine for her. I might start giving her a portion of this morning and evening, as so far she has only had it in the evening.

Then, I went on a raid in the shop that is upstairs of our yard's manege building (veeery dangerous to have a horse tack and equipment store on the same premises as the yard, I can tell you...) and came out with the following items: Flaxoil, NAF Pink Powder, a salt stone and a rubber curry comb. 

The Flaxoil is for improving condition and should probably do miracles for R's coat and mane too... The Pink Powder is a vitamin supplement, which the shop keeper swore by as she had only stumbled upon it when a sales rep had left her a sample, but apparently her horse was doing so well on it and looked good, she is now a fan. It's just a basic balancer, which suits me fine; I am determined to keep things simple.

When I set up the salt lick to Rainbow's stable she was instantly on it and licking it for a long time and in a very concentrated manner. She must have been needing it. 

As for the curry comb, I have no idea why I bought it. Call it the Ikea-syndrome...






Without making my post any longer or more boring I have one more thing to say: I had a nice long day at the yard, as didn't have to work, so I ended up arriving at 10am and only went home at 2:30pm... Bliss. I hate when in the week, and in the winter, it's so dark and evenings are so short that I find myself rushing around trying to complete all the tasks in an efficient manner. I think Rainbow notices it as today we were both super chilled and just had a lovely day together. 

I lunged Rainbow today and she was absolutely wonderful. She listened to me and worked very well on both reins. I felt quite emotional (probably just PMT) when we did a bit on side reins and she trotted on beautifully in formation. Ah! This time I used head collar under her bridle from which I removed the noseband, and with the bit only attaching to the side reins. I think this worked well so will do that again.

As a thank you for work well done, R got a piece of carrot and then I took her to her paddock to enjoy rest of the afternoon rays. My friend now calls our paddock "The Mud Spa". The girls help themselves to several full-body mud massages and facials several times a week - I for one can't even remember the last time I had a facial... The girls have their priorities right!



Happy horse








3 comments:

  1. She looks really happy and friendly as usual :) Lovely girl. And good thing you found something to enhance her food with. I think those are very good choices! You should see the results in one month at least :) Oil has many benefits from energy to beauty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johanna! She's cool... Love her. I will also look into the oats-matter but will experiment with what I have now and see if she begins to build muscle/gain energy. These things take a few weeks before anything shows. Your best advice that rings in my ears is that 'trust yourself and your abilities, if she is lacking in energy or not herself then her feeding has to be updated' - thank you, it sometimes takes others to tell you to trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that myself too and found it useful! We always need to trust that we know our own horses the best. No one can interpret her "normal" or "abnormal" better than the owner - even thought many people are willing to give advise to the detail. And if you have some suspicion about her health, there is 99% probability for a reason to worry. Since horses try to always hide their weaknesses :/ But Rainbow is a lucky girl as she has an observant owner!

      Delete