Friday, November 23, 2012

The only way is up

In the words of 1980s pop singer Yazz, The Only Way is Up...! Our dressage test didn't quite go to plan. We barely scraped together 58% of points. So we got a black 8th place rosette - last in our class that is - and a long list of comments from the judges on how to improve. 

I remembered the route correctly, so that was good. I had been practising it in our kitchen with Tim calling out the instructions and one of my cats casually lying in the middle of the floor, roughly where I was meant to halt for the end salute, over the G and X markers. Thanks Kay... Well, I can't blame the poor performance on my cat. 

Basically I need to get Rainbow moving with purpose and be forward thinking. Also bending to the right direction. She was also looking at the borders and letters occasionally, although I didn't want to ride her with super-tight rein, as I felt it's better to look more relaxed and fluid. Perhaps I was a bit too relaxed. 

So, lots of circles, loops and serpentines in our weekly flatwork practice from now on. Also, I think I need to stop the slightly flaky riding style, I admit to falling into occasionally, where I am not driving Rainbow forward with enough purpose. As a horse, she is on the slower and calmer side, and perhaps she knows that I am not constantly pushing her enough, so we end up plodding along. But, let's not also forget that she is also young and I am a novice, and we have only been together for 6 months, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. 

I know it's common for 'losers' to say this, but the main thing is that we participated. But I believe that, as now that I have been in that competitive situation, I will know how to improve. Any amount of lessons can't make you perfect, as I believe you have to put what you've learned into practice and test out how it holds. It didn't hold brilliantly for us, but at least now I know where to go next in terms of training/practice.

This was the first test we did. I plan to do another test in December - it will be a fun Christmas themed fancy dress dressage day, so I am planning on putting antlers on Rainbow!

The best thing about yesterday was to, again, realise lovely my horse is: I have never plaited a mane before, so I was quite slow doing it. The entire time, as I fiddled along, she stood still, ever-patiently and calmly waiting for me to work through all of it, in the horribly cold and windy weather. 


At least we had a chance to look smart for the day, instead of the usual mud covering (on both of us).

1 comment:

  1. Onnea! 58% on hyvä tulos! Olet niin noviisi, ettet tiedä edes sitä ;D Eikä kouluratsastus ole kilpailu sijoista, vaan oman tason korottamisesta. Koulu ratsastuskisoissa hevoset ja ratsastajat eivät ole millään tavalla vertailukelpoisia keskenään. Samassa luokassa voi olla 12v kouluratsu, jolla on tuloksia paljon korkeammalta tasolta ja selässä kuka tahansa alueen konkari ratsastaja. Ole ylpeä! Mäkin olin iloinen, kun saatiin Emmin kanssa 52,5% kun tavoite on yleensä vaan 50% eli hyväksytty tulos :) Sieltä kuules monet saa sen alle 50 myös.

    ReplyDelete