Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sorting stuff out

Well I have to say I sometimes scare myself how efficient I can be...! I popped in Finland last week, to sort stuff out for our impending move and I have managed to not only secure a home for myself but also for Rainbow. The trip also included four days in Ruka, so I had to cram in some house-hunting, stable-hunting, bank matters, work networking, etc in about two days I had in Tampere itself. And I rather succeeded. Just proves that most things are possible if you just put your mind to it.

I will be returning to my home region of Tampere, so the stable had to be nearby. I visited about five places in one day, which I had shortlisted for appropriateness/value for money. (yes, I had made an Excel sheet...) The criteria I had was: 

- near-enough location to my new home (preferably not longer drive than what I have here)
- nice stables with good atmosphere for both the horse and the owner (friends/other horses)
- good care for the horse when I'm not around
- long all-day turnouts and possibility for field grazing during the summer months
(This was a biggie for me, as R doesn't currently get out long enough day-to-day in my opinion and I will be also busy establishing my business in Finland, so I need to know she's happy and not stuck in a stable.)
- nice surroundings and plenty of hacking
- a decent-sized outdoor school and an indoor school a definite plus (even though yards with maneges are usually v expensive) 

I found a place which looks very idyllic and has enormous areas for paddocks and fields, it's in the neighbouring town of Kangasala and its location is perfect for where I have found a place for myself, on the borders of Tampere and Kangasala. I timed my drive between the two and it was pretty much 10 min. It's about 15 km drive, but the roads in Finland take you from A to B very quickly. My current drive here is just under 12 km, so not a massive difference. 

The yard also has a small indoor school (prob ideal for lunging mainly), which might be improved in time... and the owner of the yard seemed very nice. The place had a peaceful atmosphere and the horses seemed content in their paddocks/fields.

Now I just need to pack my things and get the cats ready too! 



5 comments:

  1. Siis Nooralta tuli kommentti ja mina 'hyvaksyin' sen mutta tama Blogger sanoi etta se oli hylatty! Ihme juttu! Aaargh. Noora, jos luet taman, niin laita ihmeessa uudellee! Anteeksi. Joo oli todella tehokas reissu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi, olet siis tehnyt päätöksen muuttaa Suomeen! Tervetuloa! Toivottavasti Rainbow kotiutuu tänne hyvin ja sinä tietysti myös!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joo, kylla on paatos tehty. :) Se muhi tuossa ja ainakin tama viime viikko vietettyani Suomessa, nyt ainakin tuntuu hyvalta paatokselta. Eihan tama tietystikaan helppoa ole 12 taalla vietetyn vuoden jalkeen, mutta kyllahan sita periaatteessa takaisinkin paasee, jos nyt ei jotenkin kotiudu.

      Talli ainakin vaikuttaa mukavalta, joten todella toivon Rn kotiutuvan. Matka voi olla rankka, joten pidamme varmaan myos kunnon kesaloman.

      Delete
  3. Tervetuloa! :) Voidaan maastoilla yhdessä, heitän Emmin vaan koppiin ja matkaan Kangasalle :) mihin talliin muutatte?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joo olis TOSI kiva. :) Lahetan sulle tallin paikan PM:na kun en viitsi taalla viela mainostaa.

      Delete