Friday, April 11, 2014

Back in – and under – the saddle after a little break

It's amazing. I think little breaks are a good way to reset the situation with both the horse and the rider.

As I went to the yard on Tuesday, I was greeted by a very muddy but happy looking horse in the paddock. She'd been out every day, in the warm sunshine, and she had really been working hard on establishing a suitably thick and crusty layer of mud on herself, which took me ages and about four different types of brush and a scraper to take off. Successful hols all around then :)

Wednesday I lunged Rainbow – just in case there was any freshness about – but, as before, I discovered that Rainbow really takes breaks in her stride and becomes even more horizontal than she normally is. Good-o. So I lunged anyway and noticed, to my pleasure, that she was moving well and almost seemed a bit looser/relaxed in her stride than before the holiday. 

Thursday we had our fortnightly 'dressage' lesson and I noticed, almost with alarm that, as soon as I sat in the saddle, I was very deep in the seat, legs resting on the sides relaxed and in a good position. I almost got worried! 'What's happening, I am sitting well and I am feeling good in here, even though I haven't ridden for closer to two weeks...!' Even my instructor said she'd been watching me when I had been warming up and she'd noticed that I seemed to sit really well.

Lo and behold. It basically proves to me that a) breaks are good for the body and the soul (applies to horses and humans) and b) doing other sports helps keep muscles supple and helps with riding (I skied last week). So, this summer – I have already made a promise to myself – I will take up running or swimming, or possibly even pilates, alongside riding, to keep myself in top shape and help me keep my seat as lovely as it was yesterday. 

Today wasn't bad either, still felt good. We went for a very chilled hack around the village with Sarah and Sampson. Both horses were angels and the evening was warm and gentle, not a whisper of wind. The first evening hack of the season. Felt almost like a summer's evening. I will leave you with this pic I took of the field which is opposite to the entrance to the yard. 



1 comment:

  1. Elinalle olisi haaste :) http://www.laukonhevoskuntoutus.com/2014/04/pidan-huolta-hevosestani-bloggaa-ja.html

    ReplyDelete