Thursday, August 22, 2013

Boring text on saddles

So we had the saddler come and have a look at us. I know saddlers will more often than not say that there's something wrong with one's tack and try to sell you another one. 

We stood next to Rainbow while she was munching on hay and had her saddle on her. It was very high from the front and low from the cantle side. The saddler didn't need to wait for my answer to his question: what would happen if he held a spirit-level across the saddle. So what we have at the moment is a lot of clearance in the front but it's laying very low at the back and potentially pressing on the lower back (and wobbling around). Our osteopath had found some lower back tightness in Rainbow – not sure if the two are linked. She did also found tightness around her left shoulder – the saddler noticed some knotting in the muscle right by her withers on that side too.

I said to the saddler that I realise he primarily sells Albion but could he tell me if there was benefit in me looking at other brands, as I am prepared to do that. His response was he's 'freelance' so can sell me any saddle he likes, but the 'problem' is with the trees that go in the saddles: the trees are manufactured by a few manufacturers (in the UK) and they go to most of the saddles across different brands and makes, who basically add their own designs and padding on those trees and then call it Saddle X. So in the shop you are essentially looking at saddle in a certain size in the same tree shapes; if your horse differs from the 'standard' sizes and shapes then things might be pressing. 

The saddler has made a buck or two in our yard, I am aware of that, as I think at least 5–6 people have bought from him. But even someone who hasn't bought from him recently, said that he can definitely measure horses well. Everyone who already has a saddle from him, say their horses seem happier and have a new attitude to work, and move better. I will wait to see – I really want to believe them but I will wait and see. Ideally, I would like to have a horse that doesn't insist on moving around in the stable when I try to put the saddle on her or turn away from me. With another saddle, time will tell if that's R's character (and she just detests me on her back!) or it's the saddle.

Another thing I want from a saddler is an ongoing relationship, so when the horse changes shape and/or something needs fixing, I can go back to the same person and ask for help, and they know our history and requirements. This saddler has now so many clients at our yard that he visits regularly and doesn't charge for those visits, so I am hopeful I can have him regularly check on our saddle.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that I have just spent a lot more on a saddle I ever dreamt I would. I am still getting slight palpitations when I count my pennies in my savings account... And I told mother that the money my kind family gave for a sewing machine for my 30th birthday present will (temporarily!) be invested in a saddle... Well maybe the saddle is so nice Rainbow and I just want to use it all the time, so I wouldn't have any time to sew anyway!



Owner less successful in this selfie, whereas horse looks pretty.




No comments:

Post a Comment