Thursday, April 18, 2013

Please help - advice needed :)

This is not a normal post but to ask help from my few readers, if possible. 

Please could someone recommend a brand/shop/online, etc. where to find half chaps/gaiters for narrow (and I mean NARROW) calves? 

I am very short (5ft or 153cm) and I have even recently started to buy my breeches in children's sizes! (Handy, as here in the UK there is no VAT on kids' clothes, so cheaper too!). But the narrow calf situation is really causing me a headache. 

I would need smart black gaiters/half chaps in which to compete – and ride otherwise too, when I want to look smart ;). Currently, in competitions, I am using my old synthetic riding boots from childhood – yes, childhood! – bought second-hand circa 1992 off a noticeboard at the stables I used to go in Tampere. Thrifty as she was, mum wanted to save money by buying second-hand, as I was bound to grow out of them... Well, I haven't...! But the synthetic children's boots are not quite as supportive as I would like them to be – they have quite flat soles and quite flat heels – and as I don't use them much else than in competitions, it always takes me a while to adjust to the new sensation of the boot in the stirrup, which doesn't help when I have other things to worry about! And the old boots are also quite sweaty... and they make a farting noise against the saddle when I do rising trot. Not the best 'look' during a dressage test.

I would wear the chaps/gaiters with jodhpur boots. Finding jodhpur boots is easier. I have partly given up on  full (leather) boots for two reasons: I don't think I can find narrow-fit full boots very easily either and if I did they would probably be very expensive. I don't want to spend the money at this point on super-expensive boots which I would only be able to wear in competitions and not at all around the yard in case I ruin them. So I think half chaps are a good compromise.

To give you an idea, I ordered these Shires Children's Synthetic Leather Gaiters (pictured) in Large – size L13" W12.5" (that's L33cm x W31.75cm to those in Europe) on Amazon. They have just arrived and they are a little bit loose around the calf. They fit OK, but are a bit too generous... I would like them to be on the snug side, because I know they will stretch, so better start tighter. I have looked online for the size down (Medium L12" W11.75"), and I while I think it will fit girth-wise, the the inch off the length, in comparison to the Large ones, means they will look too short. High socks sticking out at the top also not a good look in the competition arena. So, I need something that is around 11.75 inches, or 30–31cm, in width but still minimum 33" or 33cm (can be a little more) in length....




Not sure if anyone is willing to help, but please let me know if you know anything. I am actually popping in Finland briefly at the end of next week, so if you know shops in Tampere/Pirkanmaa region that stock a good selection of boots, gaiters and chaps, I would like to know. Please also let me know if you know of any such shops in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Bucks, etc (even London) areas that stock a good selection... And without forgetting online, of course! I would really appreciate help! 

Thank you. 

I will be posting soon about this week's riding. Have had a fab-u-lous week! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment