Friday, April 12, 2013

Because you are worth it

A busy week behind us and I am writing this blog in the office (working in-house at a client's today), though I am on a break, so not skiving! Honest.

Being freelance definitely has its benefits when it comes to fitting work and horses together. I think I am now getting quite good at the juggling. However, I do try and not make it too obvious that I might be starting a day a bit later than others because of a horse, so if I have to go to the yard in the morning to muck out and ride, I usually just say I have an appointment, which gives a more professional/serious impression, as it could be a meeting, a doctor's appointment, a therapist's appointment, dentist's....   Well, I have an appointment of sorts...  every day... with Rainbow :).   

I don't want to give people the idea that I am some kind of a posh toff that is too busy to work because of her horse. As most horse owners know, it is considered a fairly privileged 'hobby' (a lifestyle really!) and so I keep my hobby to myself as much as I can when it comes to negotiating work, or just talking, with clients. As they don't know that, actually, owning a horse and being able to support it, I need money and work more than ever. It motivates me to use my time and resources more effectively when I have something that depends on me (this also applies to my other animals). However, I do must point out that when I am choc-a-bloc with work, I sometimes do have to ask Annika to exercise Rainbow or sometimes I just turn her out in the field with mates. So I do prioritise work over Rainbow as well. And that's how it should be - give and take. When I do, I always say to her, as I leave her in her stable, munching on hay, "Right, I am off to earn some money so you can spend it."

I am definitely not as well off as I was before Rainbow (not that I have ever been particularly 'well off').  Is it worth it? Hell yeah! Let's be a little less gleamy eyed: Well, at least at the moment the amount of happiness as well as challenge it brings me, makes me a happy person and I can't think of what else I would do instead. Probably watch a lot more TV, eat more (thus be fatter!) and perhaps our garden would be better tended and the house cleaner...  I don't know. I don't really remember how I spent my time before... Well, something made me go back to riding and horses. Perhaps it was that 'it's now or never' realisation of reaching a certain point in one's life and realising that we can't take any of that money or posessions with us, so why not do the things that make you happy and go for it when you can. Life really is too short.  


No comments:

Post a Comment