Monday, September 21, 2015

Vertically challenged

How do you know when horse is 'through'? Is it a feeling you get or is it something you check serendipitously in transit past the indoor school mirror – that the horse has his head in a remotely correct position and e.g. not tucked behind the vertical. Although there is still unfortunately a prevailing assumption this, in fact, is being on the bit, which it isn't. Here it is illustrated well: http://www.sustainabledressage.net/rollkur/behind_the_vertical.php ... or above it, or worse yet, entirely hollow. 


This whole 'on the bit' issue I have grappled with almost the entire time of my still relatively short time as a rider. I have learned about it, little by little, over the past 3 years with Rainbow, and I am still learning. Also Rainbow, while very capable under a skilled rider, has also put me through my paces to discover for myself what is needed to get this my own bundle of joy to really get going. Finding out really is part of the magic of riding your own horse and learning together! And so, the answer to the question I posed at the beginning, 'how do you know if your horse is through?' I will try to answer as I see it in this moment and time, with this knowledge I currently have... 

First, it is not how it's supposed to look but it feels. Sure, visual aids and checking the mirror or videoing yourself – or having a skilled instructor – will tell you when you are going 'correctly' and when not so. Also expect that finding a few good steps of collection before deterioration is the norm at the learning stage; both you and your horse have to learn for themselves what it is that is required to be in genuine collection and through the topline, hinds engaged and pushing to the bit, not being 'empty' and behind it. Let's also not forget that it takes time for the horse to develop those muscles for carrying themselves properly, so even if you, as the rider, would know exactly how to go about collection, the horse you ride needs to be 'equipped' for it. The building up of muscle and ability takes time – and skill. 

So, how do I do it? 

With Rainbow the key is to get her going first. Not traipsing around the school 'lazily', dragging her feet, but also not rushing in a hurried way (Singer sewing machine, I call it ;) either. For a long time we seemed to have this hangover from the riding school days and some instructors too, where the emphasis was to kick the horse forward regardless of how it was going or what it was doing. Yes, while it is important to do this, as propulsion is one of the keys for achieving anything on horseback, including thoroughness, but getting the horse just to practically wanting run from under you is not what the aim should be. 

For me, the key to get Rainbow going forward simply is to simplify my aids, not so much kick her forward. One of the reasons for the lack of forwardness in her has not been inherent laziness but my inability to be clear with my aids and ending up inundating her with nagging information from my incessant leg pounding... Sounds very simple, I know, but hands up, how often do you end up pumping your legs against a 'lazy' horse at every fricking step it takes? Not naming names, but I see this 'pumpety-pump' riding around me so much, on so many videos I watch, etc. that it is evidently very common. There is a big difference in 'being with the horse at every step', which very much should be the case in riding, but it does not mean kicking the horse forward at every step. I wish people understood this... I'm guilty, too. However, recently, I have taken a good look at this habit of mine and I have decided to avoid it at all costs. When Rainbow feels extremely 'lazy' (and I don't like the word lazy, but use it in place of a better one) and doesn't seem to move anywhere, I actually 'remove' my legs from her sides, so hold them very lightly and proceed to giving very clear, individual cues to indicate that I want her to move forward. When she does, I'm 'quiet' (meaning I don't do anything additional with any part of my body), as this is the release/reward for the correct action she has taken. If I want her to move even faster, I just repeat as necessary, and if she doesn't react, I will follow with a stronger aid until the desired reaction is achieved – but always, always give the release/reward of 'quietness' from my part. 


This has been a long lesson and only Essi has gotten us to the point with it where I truly understand throughness and how it is supposed to feel for me and Rainbow. Let's remember we're all individuals. 

So, in order to put my money where my mouth is, here is a picture of us taken a couple of weeks ago and sort of sums up what thoroughness means to me in this point in time: 



A picture where I would say there is not much to fault: the horse is 'through', pushing forward and rider is in balance too. Of course, there is still lots to do, e.g. develop my seat in sitting trot (in this pic I'm doing rising) and get Rainbow to engage her hind more actively at all times, but this really isn't bad, even though I say it myself.


If you are interested in reading more about discipline and release, this article that I recently read sums this up pretty well too: What's in it for the horse? by Sarah Warne






No comments:

Post a Comment