Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hack around the village

Finally, nearly after two weeks of being cooped within the boundaries of the yard and indoor school, we managed to get out for a gentle walk hack. We went out with our stable neighbours Sharon and Lenny. Lenny had a 'hot hoof' and Sharon was concerned, so we decided to keep it gentle. No trotting, but walked around the whole village. 

The Sun was out and even though it was rather windy, both horses behaved themselves impeccably. Only at one spot, where we know two bearded collies (I think that's what they are) live, they always jump up to their garden fence and bark at the passing horses. They're a bit annoying as they don't start barking when they see the horses in the distance, but just when we get to them, so, if the horse hasn't managed to clock the dog before, it comes as a surprise. I'd prefer they'd bark from a distance! 

When we got to where the dogs were and the barking began, I was pleased even though Rainbow did the classic "I'm scared-stop-hop" – I can't describe it, like freezing still by doing a little jump and glaring at the source of the terror – she listened to my onward commands. I kept just talking to her and she clearly listened to my alternating Praise & Calm sentences: 'That's it, move on, good girl... That's it, onwards, good girl..." I think the gentleman on the pavement found it quite amusing. 

I have a busy working week ahead, so I need to plan R's week meticulously to fit it all in. Will ride her tomorrow but then give Tuesday off, me thinks... The problem with turning out at the moment is that the fields, now that the snow has melted, are full of water. The ground water table is so high it's seeping through and up. When I inspected our paddock, small pools of water had formed to every single hoof pressing (and there are a lot of them!)... Slightly depressing.

Here's to really, really hoping that we'll have a lovely and DRY summer 2013. These last 12 months have been pretty testing.




No comments:

Post a Comment