Saturday, June 22, 2013

Royal Ascot

Thursday did involve horses but not in the smelly sense I usually get to enjoy them, but from a distance – donning a hat, a glass or two of champers and a race ticket. 

It was my 30th birthday so Tim took me to Ascot for the day. We went there two years ago, to celebrate my birthday, but this time it was just us two and not a big group like last time. Two years ago the weather was really wet, cold and windy, which made everything a bit drab and difficult... Especially when wearing nice clothes and trying to walk across water-logged lawns...

This time weather was ideal, though it wasn't sunny until the evening the still and warm air made it actually quite ideal. We set off from Henley-on-Thames as we were staying in a hotel there. This  meant we could take the train to Ascot and both enjoy a few drinks too.

I bet on all races except one (6 races in one day) and ended up either winning or breaking even on every race, except the last race when my ability to pick winners must have been hindered by the champers. I didn't bet large amounts but won enough to probably come home with a bit more than I went there with. I hadn't studied the race cards hard but had some idea from reading the Racing Post and also backed The Queen's horse, Estimate, which paid out a little as it won the Gold Cup race. I was so pleased for her for her horse winning the race. The large screens replayed her excitement, it was fab.

But without further ado, here some pics from the day.

Racecourse from Grandstand

Ascot Bandstand

Waiting for The Queen to arrive.

There she is!

The Queen's horse, Estimate, won the Gold Cup race.

The Queen saying hello to Estimate after the race.

Race goers


Yours truly
The sun broke out in the afternoon


Afternoon tea at the Pavilion

Not too traumatised by having turned 30 ;)


Some clips filmed on my mobile. 

- The Queen arrives
- Racing
- Singalong at the end of the race day






No comments:

Post a Comment