Thursday, November 28, 2013

Partnership

Last couple of weeks we've been having normal, good weeks together. I have cut down our private dressage lessons to one a week – mainly for financial reasons – but also as one seemed to get us more results than the other. Also this other trainer doesn't only do 'dressage' but I can use her for learning to jump better too. The rest of the time we've been hacking and also having some jumping lessons.

Overall, I have really enjoyed riding and working with Rainbow of late. She's a very good girl, but I also feel that we have reached the stage what I can, slowly, begin to call a 'partnership'. This has been wonderful to see in Rainbow, that she would want to do well for me and even to look after me! 

The most noticeable sign of the partnership that we have begun to form is when we jump. For example, she now avoids doing big leaps over the jumps (even if I haven't ridden her particularly well to the jump through my noviceness), changing her steps at the last minute to accommodate 'Mummy', so that I stay on. She also lands in the correct canter often after a jump without me having asked for it (I only learned how to in our last lesson). Thank you, Rainbow, I owe you :)

We have also had good schooling sessions, and the trainer – Mary – is definitely helping me to find my seat and learn to ride R through the seat. In just a few weeks with Mary, I have learned to sit better. In fact, trying to find the 'old' style I used to sit in, for fun, is now rather impossible for me – which is great! Mary has mainly concentrated on getting us straight; teaching me to stop R from falling out in right rein and from falling in left... My left hand still tries to shoot forward on right rein and I pull with the right hand, when R doesn't turn... So, slowly, I am learning to keep my left elbow by my side and keep the outside rein solid for the horse and guide her with the seat. 

One epiphany happened last week, when Mary paid attention to how I hold the reins and it became obvious that don't 'clasp' the rein but hold it in the finger part of my hand, so my hand is a bit open when holding. Mary worked with me to find my forearm muscles, biceps and to give in from the elbow, making the hands 'quiet'. As soon as I stopped giving R the outside rein and clasped the reins, and kept the inside soft, she dropped down into an outline. And I could just sit there and enjoy. Simple when you know how!

I am now also keeping my legs quiet (or trying to!) and only give leg aid depending on the need, not pumping the whole time. I think I am a lot better, but I am also still learning to find my core muscles, especially around the pelvis and bottom, which I need to use for riding with the seat. My knees sometimes grip when I try to give leg aids, and I am struggling to wrap my stumpy legs around Rainbow's barrel... I sometimes feel that in the recent weeks I have had to learn the art of riding all over again, it's so different to how I thought it's done – and how many riding schools teach you at the beginning – learning has been revelational and sometimes hard, but mostly very rewarding. Through my noticeably improved seat, Rainbow has begun to move under me much better, no longer like wading through treacle, but with more pace and purpose, which is really lovely. 

--------

Found out this week, when a girl who used to come to the yard (and used to ride/compete Rainbow's mother, Sophie) contacted me on Facebook, as she had learned a little tidbit of info about R's mum – that R's mother had a brand on her neck which read 'BK'. Apparently this means that she was part Andalusian. I am sure that Rainbow has plenty of other types of horse in her as well, especially as we don't know the sire and the colouring would imply cob/native lines... But I couldn't resist googling about the Andalusian. How Wikipedia describes some characteristics of the Andalusian horse seems to match R quite well, too:

Andalusian horses are elegant and strongly built. Members of the breed have heads of medium length, with a straight or slightly convex profile. ... Necks are long and broad, running to well-defined withers and a massive chest. They have a short back and broad, strong hindquarters with a well-rounded croup. The breed tends to have clean legs, with no propensity for blemishes or injuries, and energetic gaits. The mane and tail are thick and long, but the legs do not have excess feathering. Andalusians tend to be docile, while remaining intelligent and sensitive. When treated with respect they are quick to learn, responsive, and cooperative.



No comments:

Post a Comment