Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunny disposition

Finally, it's spring! Today car showed outside temp 19 degrees in the sun. 



We had a lovely hack yesterday in the sun with our new-ish friends Lesley and Ellie. Both horses were very well-behaved and we did some good stretches of trotting. Didn't attempt cantering, as wasn't quite sure how Ellie and Rainbow would be together, so kept it to a civilised and pleasant hack around the churn.

Afterwards the lovely girls got out in the paddock. Turned them out without rugs, so this morning I was greeted by a happy mare caked in mud, all over her back and neck. Just perfect for the dressage clinic we partook this morning! I was absolutely covered in horse hair and dried mud by the time I had finished with her. But I didn't mind really, I could tell she had had a good time and given that she's not been able to go out, due to the flooded paddocks, for many weeks, it was all OK.




Dressage clinic went well too – Rainbow didn't try to test my nerves by spooking at silly things in the arena. Despite it's about 5 months since we last went inside those white boards! Though, the nature of the clinic meant that I could walk around the arena with her in peace before commencing the test. I showed the boards to her and she played ball.

I get very nervous when riding a test and even though this was a practice test, it didn't make any difference to my nerves. I noticed, already in the warm up, that I completely stop riding R, to the point my legs are not even properly applied to her sides! I had to have stern words with myself when I noticed this, 'For goodness sake woman, ride the horse like you always ride. It's no excuse to not keep the leg on!' But overall I was pleased and we got a mark of just over 62%, in W&T intro B. So I will keep doing the clinics, as it's a good simulation of a competition situation with the added bonus of immediate feedback from our judge/instructor and a chance to practise some of the bits we struggled with – e.g. using the corners and noting what it means to ride accurately to the markers, for example, when crossing the diagonal, and how to do half circles and circles correctly...

No comments:

Post a Comment